• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jota - starter or impact sub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
Considering Jota's performances since he came back from injury, can we really afford to not start him?

The RW is reserved for Salah, so that leaves two spots open.
Do you pick Nunez or Diaz ahead of him.

The reason I'm asking is because Jota has never been seen as first choice really.
When he joined he had to compete with Firmino and Mané, but it feels like it's his time now.
He's been a revelation since he returned from injury and has provided assists and goals or been involved in the build up in basically every game.

I know, it's about rotation and the best fit on the day but when push comes to shove, who do you go with?

Last edited:
I think he can't play twice a week without injury risk so in this Europa season he has more chance to be first choice. We need competition anyway, but yeah he's currently undroppable

It’s just injuries. That’s why he’s never nailed down starting for a length of time and why we’ll have to nurse him through busy periods.

Considering Jota's performances since he came back from injury, can we really afford to not start him?

The RW is reserved for Salah, so that leaves two spots open.
Do you pick Nunez or Diaz ahead of him.

The reason I'm asking is because Jota has never been seen as first choice really.
When he joined he had to compete with Firmino and Mané, but it feels like it's his time now.
He's been a revelation since he returned from injury and has provided assists and goals or been involved in the build up to several goals in basically every game.

I know, it's about rotation and the best fit on the day but when push comes to shove, who do you go with?
Nunez on the LW and Jota through the middle. As Jota is injury prone, you have to manage his minutes. I think Gakpo's performances go under the radar, he has 13 GAs

Nunez on the LW and Jota through the middle. As Jota is injury prone, you have to manage his minutes. I think Gakpo's performances go under the radar, he has 13 GAs
Totally agree regarding Gakpo.

He is my preferred starting centre forward. I’d play Nunez LW and Mo RW unless Diaz or Gakpo hit good goal scoring form.

This, with the caveat that we need to manage his minutes to avoid injury. But he's first choice centre forward for sure.

Here’s a different question - is Jota actually the Firmino replacement? He is the player with the most subtlety in our attack, by far. Those key touches and perfectly timed lay-offs that Bobby used to do are Jota’s job now - which means playing in the middle suits him. He is the truest 9.5 player in the league, perhaps - a real hybrid of a striker and a #10.

Here’s a different question - is Jota actually the Firmino replacement? He is the player with the most subtlety in our attack, by far. Those key touches and perfectly timed lay-offs that Bobby used to do are Jota’s job now - which means playing in the middle suits him. He is the truest 9.5 player in the league, perhaps - a real hybrid of a striker and a #10.
I think in terms of role, yes. Obviously they interpret the role differently and Jota is a far superior finisher (with far less flair), but he really stitches things together.

I think he proved he is best as the lone striker with support from the wings when Salah last went to the AFCON, he is our ... "superiority striker" amongst our attackers. Can run with the ball plus a fox in the box. This thread is quite interesting as his goals come in the 2nd half when he would normally start !!!

Klopp seems to switch the front 3 between halves, doesn’t really work 1st half…worked 2nd half. I think teams struggle to work us out when we’re constantly interchanging the front line. First half was Darwin left and Jota central, both were pretty ineffective. Jota gets both his goals from the right, Nunez gets both his goals centrally. Against Fulham first half Jota was poor, comes Nunez comes on the left he shines and gets the assist, Jota then moves to the left whilst Nunez occupies centrally and he looked the business, could’ve scored 2 goals from central positions but not for Leno. You go can go back and analyse each game but I don’t think players should be fixed to an area of the pitch if they’ve proven to be just as effective in other areas, keep the opponents defence busy and don’t make it easy for them by way of isolation, keep roaming and drifting into other areas of the pitch where the space is. Diaz found himself in a real good opportunity first half in that pocket of space, drove at the defence before having his shot easily saved….we need more of that, not just one guy stood out wide left and wide right waiting for the ball to come.

Last edited:
Klopp seems to switch the front 3 between halves, doesn’t really work 1st half…worked 2nd half. I think teams struggle to work us out when we’re constantly interchanging the front line. First half was Darwin left and Jota central, both were pretty ineffective. Jota gets both his goals from the right, Nunez gets both his goals centrally. Against Fulham first half Jota was poor, comes Nunez comes on the left he shines and gets the assist, Jota then moves to the left whilst Nunez occupies centrally and he looked the business, could’ve scored 2 goals from central positions but not for Leno. You go can go back and analyse each game but I don’t think players should be fixed to an area of the pitch if they’ve proven to be just as effective in other areas, keep the opponents defence busy and don’t make it easy for them by way of isolation, keep roaming and drifting into other areas of the pitch where the space is. Diaz found himself in a real good opportunity first half in that pocket of space, drove at the defence before having his shot easily saved….we need more of that.

Yes and I think it's great that we do this, because we can, each of our front men offers different challenges to the opposition defenders, if as a defender you are playing well for 45 mins against an attacker, and then have to switch slightly your ways because of a change in the 2nd half or in the 60th minute then it is harder I think for the defenders to adapt their game. Thought it was great the way it worked out, I just hope the guys can stay fit.

I think we need to move on from this Firmino or Mane replacement mindset.

We do NOT need to replace them and play a similar shape like previous successful teams. It's a new era. Klopp 2.0.

This team is different and plays differently too. And i kinda like it that we're able to adapt to change pretty quickly.

When we have players who’s minutes we need to manage i am totally in favour of reserving them for league games only. Or at a minimum leaving them out of away trios in any cup to let them rest and recover at our training centre.

Yet again Jota is showing that when fit, he makes our team better.

We have to do what we can to keep Jota fit. In order for that to be possible we have to keep managing his minutes and that means that he probably starts and comes on as a impact sub in 50/50 of games. Not sure he has the fitness or body type to play week in and week out.
What a finisher though. Insane and he must be a pain to play against.

In general, as long as he is fit he is an asset in either of these roles. We have good depth in the attack at the moment. All of them are a bit 'patchy' in their form, but I feel like these 4 are gelling really well as a unit without Mo, which should translate into a really nice attack with whichever two of them play up top with Mo once he is back.

It seems Jota comes out of his shell as a leader when Mo isn’t on the pitch
Very true. He seems to be our main guy upfront, I really like him in that role.
I'm not sure if Salah would have passed the ball to Nunez for the first goal.

It seems Jota comes out of his shell as a leader when Mo isn’t on the pitch

I wouldn't say that.. I'd say he's more free to run into the spaces that Mo usually takes up when he's not on the pitch.

He's certainly in a rich vein of form and long may it continue.

Jota should start, at least whilst Salah is away and likely beyond. Nunez Jota and Salah are the most impactful players right now. Jota and Nunez rotating between CF and LWF will do nicely. It does require the midfield to be able to combine well and progress the play. If they're not doing so then Gakpo comes into the equation.

I wouldn't say that.. I'd say he's more free to run into the spaces that Mo usually takes up when he's not on the pitch.

He's certainly in a rich vein of form and long may it continue.
To be clear I really do mean leader. He instructs Diaz and Nunez and directs play when Mo isn’t about.

1706026665192.png
1706026671708.png

Yes he is....but I also thought Kuyt was a pretty good finisher.......now looking at that last chart, clearly he wasn't!!

He really wasn't much good at anything then!!!!

Yes he is....but I also thought Kuyt was a pretty good finisher.......now looking at that last chart, clearly he wasn't!!

He really wasn't much good at anything then!!!!
He seemed to be more suited to the bigger games.

Kuyt was an absolute work horse for us down the right, and loads of people appreciated it, but then when we see the likes of Mane and Salah on the wing (workrate + skills + more goals), we realise what our level was back then. Stevie and Torres carried us.

Every time I see this thread title i just want to say - I kinda don't care as long as he's fit and in the squad. I do think we should have him on the pitch more than not, but he excels at both roles.

Kuyt was an absolute work horse for us down the right, and loads of people appreciated it, but then when we see the likes of Mane and Salah on the wing (workrate + skills + more goals), we realise what our level was back then. Stevie and Torres carried us.

I think Kuyt would have thrived in a team that pressed from the front. He was an absolute beast, but did it without a 'unit' pressing. Some players would be been perfect under Klopp and for me he is one of those, although down the middle rather than the wing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom