• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Spurs (H) - Sat - 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Big game (they all are) - hopefully we'll remember how we finished the CL Semi and start like that against Spurs. They will likely try to exploit the high line with Son & Kulusevski so snuffing that out is key.

I expect full strength here, and any rotating against Villa (hopefully Stevie will be doing the same..!!). I think Robbo needs a rest, but don't think Spurs is the right opportunity for that so maybe its he who sits out Villa.

Hendo will 100% start over Naby, which I think is the wrong change and people will claim Keita has been dropped even though he was excellent in the second half.

-------------Alisson------------
Trent--Matip--Virgil--Robbo
--------------Fabs---------------
-------Keita-------Thiago-----
Salah-------Mane--------Diaz

Thiago needs dropping after that abomination of a first half.

Salah too.

Nah, they should start. Agree with the team. Keita wont get dropped because of performance but more rotation. Same with Jota and Konate.

Think the Greek plays either Spurs or Villa. Robbo gets a rest in one of them.

We've got to be on our A game for this one. The thought of Son running in behind our backline worries me.

Unless we absolutely starve them of possession and dominate, I could see this going a little like the Benfica game where we give up some high quality chances and generally Son and Kane don't fuck about. The offside line is going to have to be perfect.

Alli

Gomez Matip VvD Tsimikas

Fabs
Hendo Thiago

Salah Mane Diaz

Gomez - he's always played Spurs well.
Tsimikas - Robbo needs a break.

Changing both fullbacks isn't something I'd want to do.

Tempted to start Robbo against spurs and Trent against villa.

We've got to be on our A game for this one. The thought of Son running in behind our backline worries me.

Unless we absolutely starve them of possession and dominate, I could see this going a little like the Benfica game where we give up some high quality chances and generally Son and Kane don't fuck about. The offside line is going to have to be perfect.

A lot will hinge on how well Fabs or someone else mark Kane so that he isn't able to thread balls through - can't see anyone else in their midfield being able to exploit it in the same way he could do.

A lot will hinge on how well Fabs or someone else mark Kane so that he isn't able to thread balls through - can't see anyone else in their midfield being able to exploit it in the same way he could do.
Fans and thiago should hopefully be able to stick close to him, and hopefully draw some fouls from him as well

I'm torn on Robbo or Tsimikas. Because I think he's faster (?) I'll go with the Greek. I'd also put in Gomez for Trent for the obvious reason. Hendo sat out much of last night, he's a cert to start. 5 days rest so no other changes to our best XI are required.

----------------------- Alisson

Gomez ----- Matip --------- VvD --------Tsimikas

-------------------------Fabs

------- Hendo --------------------- Thiago

Salah --------------- Mane ------------------- Diaz

Trent got his rest against Newcastle. He'll play against Spurs and Villa. Robbo will get rested in one of them.

Trent is defending really well against balls in behind at the moment, but I could see an argument for Gomez for his pace against Son.

Trent got his rest against Newcastle. He'll play against Spurs and Villa. Robbo will get rested in one of them.
Not about rest. Gomez fastest and better defensively.

Spurs showed what they can do given a chance against a high line when winning 2-3 at the Etihad.

Trent all day, every day and twice on saturdays.
He got his rest against Newcastle and even when he was constantly putting in shite balls for an 8ft striker last night, he still has that one game changing cross for Diaz.

Trent all day long.
For me no. I trust Mo/Mane/Diaz to get us the goals regardless. Defensively however Son & Kulusevski tore City's high line (with Walker & Cancelo) to bits so I don't trust Trent up against Son. Gomez isn't perfect but he's obviously more defensively minded and faster than Trent. So that's my reasoning behind Gomez over Trent for this one. Hendo can support Mo.

full backs are gassed
trent even after his rest. I guess Robbo will rest in one of the games.

Let’s get something straight…Spurs are in a pressured scrap for 4th - so they’ll choke.

Everyone seems concerned about our defence against Kane (who never shows up in pressure games) / Son etc. What about their clusterfuck of a defence against our rampaging front 3 combo?

Spurs at Anfield? 4-0

For me no. I trust Mo/Mane/Diaz to get us the goals regardless. Defensively however Son & Kulusevski tore City's high line (with Walker & Cancelo) to bits so I don't trust Trent up against Son. Gomez isn't perfect but he's obviously more defensively minded and faster than Trent. So that's my reasoning behind Gomez over Trent for this one. Hendo can support Mo.

We’re a much better team with Trent starting. Thats how we should set up and it gives us the best chance of winning.

Gomez can fill a need if we have to in certain games for rotation, but we dont.

Trent starting isn't even a question (unless he's injured). He's played numerous times against Son. And we've many of those games.

What's most interesting to me is who starts alongside VVD. Konate or Matip?

Konate is more physically suited to dealing with Kane (control him and you control Spurs and their runs in behind). But Konate is also v young, doesn't know his strength at times and a streetwise Kane could end up conning him into giving up numerous freekicks, or doing the hard-soft-hard target man approach, where one minute you allow a defender to knock you over easily, and in the next attack you go in hard, when shoulder to shoulder. It's kidology; keeping a defender off balance. Kane is the king of this.

And Matip knows this sort of thing well though, but isn't as physically gifted (in both boxes at Konate), but is more suited to breaking down a stubborn defence on the ball (which Spurs will most likely be, in their 3-4-3 formation).

Having said that, i'd probably lean with Joel, because of experience and his ability on the ball. Especially as I'm playing Henderson at RCM (to help double up on Son).

Alli
Trent Matip VVD Robbo
Fab
Henderson Thiago
Salah Mane Diaz

Let’s get something straight…Spurs are in a pressured scrap for 4th - so they’ll choke.

Everyone seems concerned about our defence against Kane (who never shows up in pressure games) / Son etc. What about their clusterfuck of a defence against our rampaging front 3 combo?

Spurs at Anfield? 4-0
Why would you try hex us like that:mad:

Does anyone know how to unhex us before it gets in too deep

Why would you try hex us like that:mad:

Does anyone know how to unhex us before it gets in too deep
Haven't you got with the programme? The anti-jinxers are the real jinxers and the jinxers are the real anti-jinxers! Kill the anti-jinxers! Follow the Gourd!

hisgourd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom