• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Chelsea - (Anfield South) - League Cup FINAL - Sun 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Here we go. The first bash at silverware for the season. We know Kelleher will be in goal, given we have an FA Cup game against Norwich after this I think we continue full strength and rotate for that. Same outfield X as Leeds for me bar Hendo to come in.

-------------Kelleher-------------
Trent--Matip--Virgil--Robbo
---------------Fabs--------------
-------Hendo-------Thiago----
Salah-------Diaz-------Mane

Jota may be back on the bench, which would be a great threat to have there.

Last edited:
Mane will likely be through the middle. Klopp was raving him last night and rightly so.

Agree otherwise. I haven't seen Chelsea recently but appear to be going through a misfiring period so it's a decent time to play them.

If any combo of Mane, Salah, Diaz and Jota start then I'd back us to out score any side on the planet.

Expecting a tough game, yeah I know, no shit Sherlock, but Chelsea are a very good cup team. In one-offs they can really raise their level.
I'm actually a bit worried about the game.
We can't let Kante controll the midfield. So Fabs, Thiago and Hendo need to be at their absolute best. Win the midfield, win the game. Simple as that, imo.

Think it will be a tough, tight and closely fought game. Chelsea are team that we dont particularly enjoy playing against given their set up.
Missing potentially James and Chilwell is a big loss and if Kovacic is out as well it will weaken them.

Klopp will probably go Thiago, Fabinho and Hendo in midfield. For the first time in ages we have got options and a strong bench.

Looking forward to the final. Lets hope we can celebrate after the game.

Think it will be a tough, tight and closely fought game. Chelsea are team that we dont particularly enjoy playing against given their set up.
Missing potentially James and Chilwell is a big loss and if Kovacic is out as well it will weaken them.

Klopp will probably go Thiago, Fabinho and Hendo in midfield. For the first time in ages we have got options and a strong bench.

Looking forward to the final. Lets hope we can celebrate after the game.
We should’ve twatted them last time. Then we had a spastic 5 minutes and let them back into it. We won’t be having the same starting XI and will be a lot stronger.

We should’ve twatted them last time. Then we had a spastic 5 minutes and let them back into it. We won’t be having the same starting XI and will be a lot stronger.

Yep - we were without Robbo, Matip & Thiago in the 2-2 and still should have won it comfortably. I'm going into this one bullish.

Yep - we were without Robbo, Matip & Thiago in the 2-2 and still should have won it comfortably. I'm going into this one bullish.

Thats what the heart says, but the head says its a final and it will be tough.

It's always a tough game against Chelsea.

We'll have to be at our best because simply out-pressing / running isn't always enough when the opposition have players that can hold onto the ball and use it well, which they do.

And although it's a one off cup game, anything can happen, magic of the cup blah blah blah, it'll be interesting to see how we do given that we've got a lot of tough games coming up. Our form has been improving over the last few weeks so it'll be a good test to see where we're at with a full strength (give or take) side.

I've seriously got the nerves on this. Now that we're back in the title race and a cup final, the good nerves are alongside the bad nerves. But ultimately just a ball of nerves.

Chelsea are still a good side and always play us hard. Now that they're out-of the title race they'll want this.

If we don't have Firmino or Jota pressing in the false 9 position, I'd like to see Keita in an advanced midfield position. He's pretty good at pressing and recovering the ball, well more so than Curtis or Ox anyway.

My only fear is when teams cut off the supply from our full backs and isolate the front three and force our midfield to create chances. That's when we're at our lowest.

Yes I know we have Keita, Thiago and Elliott but I still think the fact we lack an elite ball running midfielder is a little weakness that some teams have exploited in the past.

Because most of our midfielders don't attempt to beat their men but instead try I thread through balls which after a while can be easily predictable tactic to defend against. Hopefully we won't fall into that trap.

My only fear is when teams cut off the supply from our full backs and isolate the front three and force our midfield to create chances. That's when we're at our lowest.

Yes I know we have Keita, Thiago and Elliott but I still think the fact we lack an elite ball running midfielder is a little weakness that some teams have exploited in the past.

Because most of our midfielders don't attempt to beat their men but instead try I thread through balls which after a while can be easily predictable tactic to defend against. Hopefully we won't fall into that trap.
Such an easy predictable tactic to defend against that we've won 7/7 in the CL, are in the LC final, are going well in the FAC, are neck and neck with City in a race for the title (a street ahead of the rest), have scored more goals than any other team (20-30 more than any other team than City), are top of the recent form table by some way and have lost only twice this season (less than any other team). Yeah dead easy, teams are clearly catching on. Jeez Louise.

I want to win this- but I also want to give a few players a break.

It’s a tough selection because I also believe in momentum - so a couple of changes.

Kelleher we know starts - fine with that.

I’d probably keep Trent and Robo - and rotate for FA Cup.

Same with big Virg - but Matip gets a rest for Konate.

I’d probably start Hendo instead of Fabs, but I’m
not 100% on that.

I’m torn on Harvey - he’s feeling like a positive impact sub at the minute.

Thiago will help us control the game possibly. Keita is a good option.

I want to see Lord Divock play - and I think Diaz & Salah would work well with him.

so…

Kelleher
Trent - Konate - Virg - Robbo
Hendo
Thiago - Kieta
Salah - Origi - Diaz

I want to win this- but I also want to give a few players a break.

It’s a tough selection because I also believe in momentum - so a couple of changes.

Kelleher we know starts - fine with that.

I’d probably keep Trent and Robo - and rotate for FA Cup.

Same with big Virg - but Matip gets a rest for Konate.

I’d probably start Hendo instead of Fabs, but I’m
not 100% on that.

I’m torn on Harvey - he’s feeling like a positive impact sub at the minute.

Thiago will help us control the game possibly. Keita is a good option.

I want to see Lord Divock play - and I think Diaz & Salah would work well with him.

so…

Kelleher
Trent - Konate - Virg - Robbo
Hendo
Thiago - Kieta
Salah - Origi - Diaz
Ouch. You can put your house on that not being the team. Manager, players, club and fans all want to win this. Klopp will go with the strongest team bar Kelleher - and even that's not weakening it too much.

We don't want our quadruple to fall at the first hurdle.

Yep. We will rest more against Norwich as I think they’ll send a weak team to concentrate on getting relegated

[article]
9) Reds back on way to Wembley
The time when Liverpool fans would call Wembley “Anfield South” lies long in the past. Jürgen Klopp has concentrated his squad’s efforts on winning the Champions League and Premier League during his time in England, choosing to blood youth in the domestic cup competitions. Sunday’s Carabao Cup showpiece will be only the second English cup final Klopp has presided over, the last coming in February 2016, when he had been in charge for barely four months. Liverpool lost that League Cup final to Manchester City on penalties and – of Klopp’s squad that day – only Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Roberto Firmino and Divock Origi remain. The overhaul that Klopp has carried out in those six years is reflected in names such as Simon Mignolet, Nathaniel Clyne, Alberto Moreno, Mamadou Sakho, Philippe Coutinho and Emre Can, all of them decent, talented players but expendable to a manager who has transformed the club and widened their horizons. JB

10) Chelsea calling for shots?
Chelsea have had 20 shots on target and scored six goals in the Premier League this calendar year; Liverpool have had 19 shots on target and scored nine goals this week. While defensively the two teams have been comparable this season (Chelsea have conceded 17 goals to Liverpool’s 19, and 76 shots on target to Liverpool’s 72) the Reds’ attack is not so much streets ahead of their opponents’ as entire motorway networks more advanced. Meanwhile Jürgen Klopp said after Wednesday’s thrashing of Leeds that in midfield “more often than not you need really fresh legs” and has been putting those words into practice – Liverpool’s two matches this week featured entirely different starting midfield threes, two of them later being substituted on each occasion. This makes it hard to guess whose legs will be freshest come Sunday but though the remainder of the team could feasibly be unchanged some kind of reshuffle here seems likely.

[/article]

From the guardian’s things to look out for.

We once had a world class midfield of Stevie, Xabi and Mascher. None of them were top ball runners but that didn’t stop it from being world class.

I would say that not having anyone who can smack the ball in from distance on a regular basis is more of a weakness of our current midfield.

True but Stevie had a knack of being able but burst through the lines more often than not. I don't really see that in any of our midfielders. Naby has the ability occassionallly and so does Harvey but more often they seem to look for the killer pass instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom