• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - West Ham (A) - Sun 16:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
I stopped doing these for a while and we drew/lost every game so time to take back this duty.

Firstly.... WE'RE BACK BABY

Secondly - no defenders for a game against in-form Antonio - we REALLY need to cut off his supply!

Feels to me we should start with the back 4 we ended with:

--------------Alisson---------------
TAA---Phillips--Hendo--Robbo
--------------Gini--------------------
-------Jones-----Thiago----------
Salah-----Bobby-----Mane-----

If we thought Milner could do same intensity i'd get him in there but the tweak of positions and a bit more license for Jones & Thiago could be the difference here.

And let's just not giveaway any corners for the whole game. Simples.

Soucek from set pieces and Antonio from general play are the massive worries.

Honestly don't know what to do with our defence for this one. Phillips and hendo? Or drill someone else to that position?

The fuck happened to van den berg

Did you start the Spurs one?

Anyway, who the fuck is going to play?

Surely Start how we finished at the back.

Id love to see Milner start again but he can’t take too many games so close together so I’d start Jones.

Pity Koumetio is injured. Fabs is expected to be back isn't he?

-------------------- Alisson
TAA -- Hendo ------------- Fabs ---- Robbo

-------------------- Gini
--------- Jones -------- Thiago

Salah -------- Bobby --------- Mane

It would obviously be great for Fabs to be back. Agreed re: Koumetio comments but I recall some @gkmacca insights that when he returned to U23s after an injury he was way off the pace and so must be struggling if he's behind Williams & Phillips in the queue.

Hendo overtook Fabs as a defender yesterday for me. I'd leave him at LCB until VVD/Gomez or a new option emerges. He read the play so well; intercepting everything and keeping us on the front foot too.

Hendo overtook Fabs as a defender yesterday for me. I'd leave him at LCB until VVD/Gomez or a new option emerges. He read the play so well; intercepting everything and keeping us on the front foot too.

Thats massively premature, Fabinho has been excellent at the back for 4 months. Hendo did well but one game was not the basis to make that judgement particularly against a piss poor Spurs team. Id be much happier with Fabinho at the back.

It would obviously be great for Fabs to be back. Agreed re: Koumetio comments but I recall some @gkmacca insights that when he returned to U23s after an injury he was way off the pace and so must be struggling if he's behind Williams & Phillips in the queue.

I think he'd be okay now if only he had some more games. Because of the under 23s' Christmas break he's only just started playing again.

Feeling like our attack can get enough goals to make up for what will be a defensive shitshow.

Phillips did well again last night, what he lacks in technical ability compared to Williams, he makes up for in bite and aggression. We all know neither are the answer, but aside from one shaky game, Phillips looks the better option for me, if we have to use one of them. Rhys has a bright future if he carries on progressing, he's technically good and great in the air, but he has to stay on his feet and learn how to compensate for his lack of pace.

Hendo has done really well, but we know he's just one mistake away from crucifixion, and as he's not a natural defender (at least Fabinho has played there previously), a mistake will inevitably happen at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillips did well again last night, what he lacks in technical ability compared to Williams, he makes up for in bite and aggression. We all know neither are the answer, but aside from one shaky game, Phillips looks the better option for me, if we have to use one of them. Rhys has a bright future if he carries on progressing, he's technically good and great in the air, but he has to stay on his feet and learn how to compensate for his lack of pace.

Hendo has done really well, but we know he's just one mistake away from crucifixion, and as he's not a natural defender (at least Fabinho has played there previously), a mistake will inevitably happen at some point.

I think Hendo has performed well in defence considering. Matip did some covering for him in the first half which is only natural. He would have done the same for Rhys or Philips. We really need to sign a new defender, there's no excuses for not doing it.
Several leagues are having a break atm, why can't we loan someone from one of those countries?
Isn't the russian league on break? Get Lovren FFS.
The inactivity from the board is really pissing me off. We've almost thrown away the season in one month and signs regarding the abilities of our back ups Philips and Rhys we're pretty evident early on. It was never going to last.

Last edited:
I think Phillips will be fine against West Ham. Its a lot of crossing and aerial duels.

I suspect they'll look to launch balls over the top for him to run on to, need to be on our game pressing their back & rice. Should be a good game - they won't sit back which is ideal.

Looking at the rate our senior CBs are dropping like flies, i'll have Milly and Gini training in the CB position right away. We will need to play them there by March.

Last edited:
The other way of looking at it is that West Ham will expect us to play Phillips, because he did well against them at Anfield. Ergo, it'll be Henderson and someone else.

Looking at the rate our senior CBs are dropping like flies, i'll have Milly and Gini training in the CB position right away. We will need to play them there by March.
...... they are both 5'9" :redcard:

The new CB will basically be a PR exercise. He'll likely make mistakes and won't seem that great, but whereas Phillips and the others will do the same and spark 'found out'/'not up to it' rants, the new CB will do it and the respnse wil be muted because fans got what they wished for. We need another body but we're unlikely to get much improvement, so we shouldn't be under any delusion that a last minute signing is going to let us 'resume' our normal standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom